Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/BalconyTVDelhi
Find us on www.balconytv.com/delhi
//WELCOME TO BALCONYTV DELHI//
Produced by Oijo!
Presented by Pragya Tiwari
Cinematographer - Vidura Jang Bahadur
FROM S.K.'s TERRACE IN CR PARK
Sulk Station is an electronic/triphop duo from Bangalore formed by Tanvi Rao and Rahul Giri in 2009. Their music is driven by Tanvi Rao's sultry vocals wrapped in a haze of atmospherics, minimal beats and homegrown synth sounds. Their songs are a mix of contemporary electronic genres (trip-hop/post-dubstep/ambient) with traces of Indian classical music.
They recently released their debut album "Till you appear" which has received praise from all quarters. They are currently on an all India tour promoting the album.
The album can be streamed at http://soundcloud.com/sulkstation
• Sulk Station was featured as the BBC Introducing artist on the Friction show (BBC Asian Network).
• Soundcloud.com - the world's largest community of sound creators - picked Sulk Station as the "SoundClouder of the Day" resulting in worldwide exposure, appreciation and recognition. http://soundcloud.tumblr.com/post/13779879538/scotd-sulk-station
• Sulk Station was picked as one of the ten breakout Indian Acts for the year 2011 by Time Out India. http://www.timeoutdelhi.net/client_coverstory/client_coverstory_details.asp?code=948
• Sulk Station's song "Contentment" was picked by NH7.com to represent India in the international indie mixtape -- Music Alliance Pact, for November 2010. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/nov/15/november-new-music-map
Word on the album:
"this is a stratospheric record, also unlike anything produced in this country"
- the knife (http://the-knife.tumblr.com/post/18720521654/sulk-station-till-you-appear)
"like all the good records cut here in the last year, it points away from arse-rock hell, towards more creative, more original, more heartfelt things."
- moopcity (http://moopcity.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/sulk-station/)
"This is not so much an album as an experience, meant to be obsessed over, meant to be engulfed by, meant to be entrenched into every brain cell."
-helter skelter (http://helterskelter.in/2012/03/cd-review-till-you-appear/)
"they're still doing things that no one else does. With obvious influences ranging from Massive Attack through to Portishead and Radiohead they've gone and created something truly unique. Given the sheer number of people who have tried to make music like their influencers in the last 20 years, that's some achievement."
"With Till You Appear, it's as though there's no better mood apart from gloomy contemplation. Might as well have it on loop, then."
- The Hindu (http://www.thehindu.com/arts/magazine/article3339041.ece)
"Arguably one of the country's few untapped talents, Bangalore's electronic duo Sulk Station, are creating their own brand of moody and hypnotic music set in a heavenly ambience. Tanvi Raos' sultry vocals layer atop of Rahul Giri's minimalist glitched out beats to create an innovative template of sounds, an arrangement which allows the two to play out extremely inviting, compelling tunes, and an undeniable ability to spellbind the listener. "(The Big M Magazine)
They create "a sound as sullen as Portishead, except with an Indian twist on the vocals. The classical inluence on Rao's vocals makes her melodies sad, yet uplifiting. Her English lyrics reiterate this tone... When the lyrics turn cryptic, and the sounds hide less of their synthetic nature, hints of later Radiohead are in the mix. Consider the imagery, and you get a Tool vibe."(MTVdesi.com)
"Let me begin with a warning: Sulk Station is THE band to watch out for. Tanvi Rao and Rahul Giri will hypnotize you into thinking you've passed on to heaven unnoticed and untouched... Tanvi's voice had me melting in my boots. My mind protested, but
the senses left paralyzed, were powerless to obey."(The Hindu)
Official site: http://www.sulkstation.com/
Buy their music at Musicfellas - http://musicfellas.com/sulkstation
//TUNE IN AGAIN TO BALCONYTV DELHI//